New Features in Version 6
Version 6 expands important features that were present in earlier versions of the program: compatibility with other software and systems; a rich interface based on the logical separation of content and appearance; the natural entry of text and mathematics; the ability to perform mathematical computation with MuPAD 5® inside your Scientific WorkPlace 6® and Scientific Notebook 6® documents; and easy creation and production of complex, highly formatted printed documents.
Multiple Platform Capability
with Version 6 you have a choice of operating systems:
Windows® or OS X®. With its entirely new Mozilla-based architecture,
Version 6 provides more flexibility for your workplace. You
can save or export your documents in multiple formats according to your
publication and portability needs. Your documents are saved as
program window has been updated with streamlined layouts for the toolbars and
symbol panels. Most tools work the same way they did in earlier versions, with
a mouse-activated tooltip giving the name of each toolbar button and panel
Version 6 you can display your document with or without XML
tags, as XHTML source code, or
PDF (except in Scientific Notebook).
Easy Sharing of Documents
all files related to them (embedded files, plot files, etc.) are automatically
bundled together. You only need a single file bearing the extension
- Multiple levels of Undo are now available, allowing you to undo an unlimited number of previous editing changes from your current session in the document.
- On the Windows® platform spell checking in realtime is provided using inline spell checking from MySpell. MySpell provides a free open-source dictionary for over 40 languages. Misspelled words have a wavy red underline.
- There is also a Check Spelling dialog box where you can choose to replace a misspelled word, or to ignore the suggested corrections. You may also specify which language to use.
- On the Mac® the spellchecker uses the OS X® dictionary.
- Common tasks such as section head and footnote
formatting are simpler. The page layout you define in a new WYSIWYG interface
translates directly to
Version 6 allows you to create fragments containing XHTML
TEXcode, graphics, or anything else that can go on the clipboard.
- There is a new visual interface used to create tables to the exact dimensions you need.
- Leaving dialog boxes open while you make replacements and corrections saves time.
- Version 6 supports any left-to-right or right-to left language that is supported by your operating system.
- The page and table layout interfaces are new.
Improved and Scalable Fonts
pdfLATEXand XƎTEXto create documents with a wide variety of scalable fonts. With XƎTEXyou can use any OpenType font installed on your computer, as well as Unicode and associated extended Unicode TrueType fonts. The program includes the latest version of LATEXand AMSmacros. The packages yield ligatures and kerning in all text when documents are typeset.
- By choosing a shell that uses
AMS-LATEXtypesetting specifications documents are formatted automatically. REVTEXis a package of LATEXmacros designed for preparing physics manuscripts. The software includes a shell with typesetting specifications for producing typeset documents for several different publications.
Version 6 uses MuPAD 5 as the embedded computer algebra system.